Monday, June 05, 2006

100 Years; Computer Woes; Another ER Visit

We had a crazy weekend that culminated today with another trip to ER for Joshua, this time for something a little more serious than just a rash. But I'll get to that.

This past weekend, the church we used to attend, East Whittier Friends Church, celebrated their 100 year anniversary. They started back in 1906! Pretty cool stuff. Danielle basically grew up there (even though she didn't start going till elementary school) and is the person she is today because of the influence this church had in her formative years. I can't say I have that much history with the church except that I went there for a few years while dating Danielle (and a year after we were married) and that I kneed the pastor in the eye while playing flag football. And he still performed our wedding...what a guy!

Probably the worst part about the weekend was the heat. I don't know what the temperature ever got to, but it felt like 100 degrees, especially in the sun. That just made it a tad uncomfortable at times when chasing after Joshua around the church. I don't think the church building itself has AC...probably because it was built in the 1920's I think. Nonetheless, it made sitting through the celebration service (which was on Sunday afternoon) a little more distracting then it might normally have been. But it was a still a good time to hear stories of the past and to see people who you didn't realize had some connection with this church.

During the weekend, we also had a guest staying on our hide-a-bed. It was sort of last-minute, but we were happy to accommodate her. Julie was someone we knew from Westmont when Danielle went there. Julie's sister wanted her to meet her boyfriend by meeting them at Disneyland. I guess they came down from up north (Oregon or maybe bay area) and Julie is working with a mission in Ensenada. So, she remembered we lived near Disneyland and looked us up. We always love being hospitable and opening our home up to friends and family, so we were glad to have the opportunity. And it was also fun to reconnect with her a little bit.

Needless to say, we were pretty tired going into Monday. Oh and another "fun" thing happened Sunday morning...my computer wouldn't boot up. Of course, this is the spare we've been using because I just don't have the time or money to spend trying to fix up the "new" one I had put together last year. Now I'm sort of forced to put time and/or money into doing something. I'm ready to just bite the bullet and buy one from Dell or HP or something and use these other two as my hobby machines. So, I had to spend some time today making sure the harddrive was still good, which I think it is and trying to figure out what's wrong. The guys at work really helped offer some good suggestions, so maybe I'll be up and running soon. We have to...we do too much stuff on the computer NOT to have it. I guess it shows us how dependent we've become, for better or worse.

So...just when we think the drama is finished...I was finishing up getting dinner ready, Danielle was upstairs getting ready to go to a bridal shower and I guess we just didn't worry too much about what Joshua was doing. We've been leaving the gate open more because he climbs the stairs well, we don't worry too much about him falling. But we've also trusted him more around Goldie's food, especially because Goldie isn't often eating when he comes by. I guess this time was different and Joshua must've gone over to the food while Goldie was eating. We weren't there, so we didn't see exactly what happened. But all I remember hearing was a growl from Goldie and a second later, Joshua started wailing. I don't want to downplay the situation or appear casual when I say that it really isn't THAT bad...it could've been a LOT worse. But it was definitely more than a quick nip. Needless to say, Danielle and I freaked...hey, this is the first real injury Joshua's every had! Okay, I know I know...it won't be the last one and there will likely be worse injuries we'll have to deal with. Danielle and I both learned a lot from this experience, namely how we should react so as to give Joshua a greater assurance that he will be okay. Attached are pictures so you can see...it doesn't really do it justice, but gives you an idea.

So, we took him into ER because we were told by nurse friends that the biggest concern is the risk of infection. So we packed up some food (since we still haven't eaten dinner) and headed out. After coming home, we had to go to two different pharmacies to get the prescription filled. Since we now know he's allergic to penicillin, they prescribed two different things to make up for the augmentin they would have prescribed. So, I didn't get home till almost 10PM at which point we were able to give him his medicine and put him down. Joshua's really a trooper. He still doesn't seem afraid of the dog which surprises me. We'll see how he does tomorrow.

No comments: