Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Now for a completely different post

I always talk about my kids...and I don't mind that. But there is more to life than our kids. First, we'll start with a completely superficial topic...the weather.

This is going to sound weird to the non-CA crowd, but we've been having some cold weather for March. This morning, I walked out and there was frost on the roofs. The other day, we had a storm pass through and when it first started coming down, it came as hail. Not very large stones, the size of pebbles. But not something that happens very often. Unfortunately, it was at night and so Joshua didn't get to see it. There I go talking about the kids again :-).

Today, I was listening to some music while working and started listening to Michael W. Smith. Came across one song that I like and recalled really liking the video to it. Thought I'd check his website to see if I could see it online. Come to find out that he's starring in a feature length film that was written and directed by Steve Taylor. Steve Taylor is/was one of my favorite music artists who I've always admired in terms of his authentic faith in an industry that's not always authentic. He hasn't done a CD in over 10 years, but still has an impact in other areas and with other artists (like the Newsboys). At any rate, it's called The Second Chance and deals with issues of race in the church. Looks fascinating, especially for a first time film for Taylor as well as first time acting for Smith. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's playing anywhere near here right now. I'll have to check around more.

Back to more mundane things. I hate to say it...but I really like American Idol. I watched the show tonight and it was just fun. I enjoy watching the contestants perform and hearing the feedback from the "judges". It's mostly entertainment and maybe I'm easily entertained. But there's something organic about it that makes it very interesting. I guess it's the ultimate reality show.

So, tonight, they all had to sing a Stevie Wonder song. Not the best option for some of them who just don't have much soul in them. But they tried. Here's my roundup:
  • I thought Ace did pretty well...better than previous weeks, especially that horrible falsetto he did of a Michael Jackson song last week.
  • Kellie, who I think is extremely cute, especially with her southern drawl, was horrible. Totally out of her element with this one. I hope she doesn't get voted out, but I'm afraid she will be after that performance. But here is last week's performance which is the reason she's in the competition...not to mention that Simon thinks she's a "naughty little minx".
  • Elliott did alright. He just doesn't strike me as an "American Idol".
  • I haven't always like Bucky...both the name and his performances. Tonight was no exception. It was almost painful to listen to. I hope he gets voted off.
  • Mandisa was pretty good. Incredible voice. Powerhouse vocals that can tear down any house.
  • Kevin...he's got a good voice, but he just seems too awkward. Like a fish out of water. But he's only 16, so he's got some growing to do.
  • Melissa was okay. The judges liked her even though she forgot some of the lyrics. That's an honest mistake, but not one you should make in a competition.
Then came the last 5...all of which will easily move on to the next round:
  • Lisa, who's only 16 herself and yet she sings and performs like she's done it for years. Tonight was more of the same. Awesome...and she's a local from Anaheim!
  • I've always liked Katherine. I can see her going all the way. She did a great job tonight as well.
  • Taylor Hicks. I love the name, love the grey hair, he's got an awkwardness that actually works, unlike Kevin. He makes you smile when you watch him perform. Sometimes I smile because he makes me laugh at how awkward he looks. But mostly it's because he's got some soul that comes out when he sings and it's fun to watch.
  • Paris is quite simply a fireball. Extroverted with more than a capital E...it's in ALL CAPS. But she's good. Her voice is like Mandisa's...powerful. Yet she's 10 years younger. Pretty cool. Tonight's performance was a showcase of that voice.
  • Finally, Chris...the Bo Bice of this year's lineup. Total rocker and so he does a Stevie Wonder song that the Red Hot Chili Peppers had apparently done. Go figure. That sounds like having The Rolling Stones doing "The Sound of Music". I wasn't totally into it tonight, but the judges thought it was brilliant. Hmm...shows how much I know...or maybe it shows how much they know.
All in all...fun show. Look forward to the results show tomorrow night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ignimeneadamy http://buy-eriacta.wikidot.com http://buy-silagra.wikidot.com http://buy-apcalis.wikidot.com Ignimeneadamy