Monday, February 06, 2006

Joshua threw up tonight...

Had no idea he was feeling sick. Actually, in hindsight, yesterday he didn't seem himself either. Very whiny and extra-clingy. But we still didn't see this coming. We had a normal dinner, normal bathtime, normal bedtime routine and he went down fine. But within the first hour, we started hearing him cough loudly...a very dry sounding hack almost. In my mind, I started thinking from experience how that sort of cough could result in a little spewing (or a LOT of spewing). But I didn't think he was really sick, so why worry about it. Instead, after a few more of these types of coughs, we thought we'd bring some water (because it was so dry sounding). As I walked in, he sat up and started hacking more and it seemed clear more was coming. So, without thinking, I cupped my hands under his mouth and caught the first bit that came out. I called out to Danielle, who I was hoping would hear me through the baby monitor, to come help me and she ran up and threw me a spit rag. I put that under his mouth and out came the next wave. Danielle then came up with another spit rag and yelled, "Switch!" At which point I took my rag full of vomit, set it down and helped Danielle with the next wave. It got on his pajamas, but fortunately not on his bed - which was really my goal.

I love being a team with Danielle. Had she not been there, who knows how messy it could've been. I cannot imagine how single parents can do it.

No comments: